
Today was my last of "three-in-a-row". That is when Matt has to work 3, twelve-hour shifts in a row. So I had the bright idea that I would take Jacob to a fun Halloween party for kids up at the Colby College campus. I heard about the event and knew that it could be a fun thing, so why not try it out? The advertisement said, "rain or shine". Of course, it was raining! Short on other ideas, I thought we should go anyways...what's a little water? So I get my little blue monster dressed in his costume and drive up to campus. By this point the rain has lightened to a mist and I'm happy about that. I strap my little blue monster into his stroller, against his will and begin to follow the crowds of princesses and ninjas. We arrive at the welcome area and receive a map of the various activities...Great! First stop, Halloween Mask Making. We head to the first building only to get close enought to realize that this campus is NOT for strollers! Go figgure. I head back to the car, determined to have a fun day. At this point my little monster has realized that we are walking away from all of the fun! He complains about this the whole way to the car. I manage to put the stroller into the car without losing my child in traffic, and we head back up to the event. First stop, Halloween Mask Making. I carry my 28 pound child into the building and we enter the crowd. I see paper plates, glue, and best of all glitter! NOPE, not for my 15-month-old. He still eats everything! Next stop, face painting. We walk to the face painting and on the way, Jacob is intersted in the rocks, wet leaves, and most of all the puddles! I allow him the freedom to wander and explore as we slowly make our way to the next stop. I arrive with a wet monster who has basically no interst in face painting. I sit him down anyways and request a fish for his cheek. He does love fish, but has no idea what this pretty young college girl is doing to his face! I thank her and we are on our way. Next stop, candy apples. This should be a hit. After another round of wandering and puddle play, we end up at the candy apples. The college kids think Jacob is the cutest monster they have even seen and Jacob is too overwhelmed to even look at them. I dip the apple into the carmel and we are on our way. Jacob seems to have no interest in the caramel until I dip my finger into it and let him have a taste. YUMMY! This is my new luer. I use the caramel to get my monster to our next location as quickly as possible. I'm getting tired of the wandering and wet puddles at this point.
We head to the next stop and yet again, an activitiy that is just not age appropriate. Let's be honest, the only activities that are age appropriate for 15 month old kids are whatever they want to do at that particular moment! So I re-evaluate the situation and check my map. Cookie decoarting. That sounds like it could be good....at least for Mommy. On our way to the cookie making, there are several puddles. At this point, I am soaked and so is my soggy little blue monster. What the heck! I allow Jacob to play in the water. That seems to be his favorite part after all. Before I know it he is laying on his tummy and putting his face into the puddle. A College kid walks by and I say, "he's trying to swim!" The kid seemed amused. Another watched as she chatted on her cell phone. I think she was probably thinking to herself, "that will never be me". All I have to say is, "Yeah right!" I ask Jacob to please not drink the water and he puts his face into the water, looks up at me, smacks his lips and says "AHHH". I finally decide enough is enough and I pick up my soaking wet little blue monster. We arrive at the cookie decorating and I grab a cookie, smear some icing on it and place a few candies on top. We sit down to eat. Another mom comes in and joins us. Her children are neatly dressed in their Monkey and Tinker-Bell costumes. Dry as a bone! I declair that my child is a mess and she nicely offers me a wet-wipe. I kindly deny the wipe...thinking in my head, "what the heck is that wipe going to do...my child has been swimming in puddles?" Jacob and I finish our cookie, adding frosting to the long list of things now covering my child. We make our way back to the car and I strip Jacob down to his onsie before strapping him into his car seat. I sigh and think, "at least I'll get a good nap out of him". Boy, was I ever wrong. No nap! And you wonder why he's a monster for Halloween!
We head to the next stop and yet again, an activitiy that is just not age appropriate. Let's be honest, the only activities that are age appropriate for 15 month old kids are whatever they want to do at that particular moment! So I re-evaluate the situation and check my map. Cookie decoarting. That sounds like it could be good....at least for Mommy. On our way to the cookie making, there are several puddles. At this point, I am soaked and so is my soggy little blue monster. What the heck! I allow Jacob to play in the water. That seems to be his favorite part after all. Before I know it he is laying on his tummy and putting his face into the puddle. A College kid walks by and I say, "he's trying to swim!" The kid seemed amused. Another watched as she chatted on her cell phone. I think she was probably thinking to herself, "that will never be me". All I have to say is, "Yeah right!" I ask Jacob to please not drink the water and he puts his face into the water, looks up at me, smacks his lips and says "AHHH". I finally decide enough is enough and I pick up my soaking wet little blue monster. We arrive at the cookie decorating and I grab a cookie, smear some icing on it and place a few candies on top. We sit down to eat. Another mom comes in and joins us. Her children are neatly dressed in their Monkey and Tinker-Bell costumes. Dry as a bone! I declair that my child is a mess and she nicely offers me a wet-wipe. I kindly deny the wipe...thinking in my head, "what the heck is that wipe going to do...my child has been swimming in puddles?" Jacob and I finish our cookie, adding frosting to the long list of things now covering my child. We make our way back to the car and I strip Jacob down to his onsie before strapping him into his car seat. I sigh and think, "at least I'll get a good nap out of him". Boy, was I ever wrong. No nap! And you wonder why he's a monster for Halloween!
1 comment:
Welcome to blogging! I'm glad you finally caved to the peer pressure. You'll be so glad you did. I love this story. It sounds all too familiar to my days...He looks so cute in his monster costume.
Post a Comment