A couple of months ago we learned that Jacob had to have a mole on his ankle removed. There are a number of reasons why they wanted to remove this mole: size, color, symmetry, etc.
So, we scheduled Jacob's surgery for the first possible time in the morning, on Matt's Birthday! Happy Birthday Matt. We drove 1 hour north to Bangor where Maine Medical Center is located. Prior to the surgery we waited in a little room with nothing to distract Jacob with exception of some old blocks. This got old very quickly and Jacob decided that it would be more fun to run out of the room and explore (typical toddler). It wasn't long before Jacob was being chased down the long and empty hallways of the recovery room (empty at the time because it was 6:30 am)by his pregnant mother (I was trying to make sure he didn't tip over the IV poles, or touch ANYTHING for that matter)...he thought this was so much fun, and most of the staff thought so too, they got a good laugh out of us! I'm not sure if they were laughing because Jacob is so cute, or at me because I'm pregnant and running!!! The doctors did a great job of making sure Jacob was going to be comfortable with them, and I made sure that he was going to be OK by requesting to be at his side as he went under. He was a very brave little boy and only cried a little bit. Jacob's surgery went very well. He was only under anastheia for 40 minutes. We waited to be called and didn't have to wait long before I heard my baby crying down the hall. I went to him and scooped him up. He was pretty out of it and trying to rip out the IV in his arm. The nurses decided to take it out before Jacob did and once this was done, he was still weepy, but quieted down and was comforted easier. The nurses helped us get Jacob dressed and out of there! I think they wanted us to take our crying kid home :) As soon as he was strapped into the car with his Baby Einstein DVD playing, he was as good as new! After a good 3 hour nap Jacob was acting as if nothing had even happened. Kids are so resiliant!
THE VERY NEXT DAY:
Jacob has learned how to spin. Oh my, what fun. Last night we had pizza and Jacob didn't want to sit at the table. So we did what any sensible parent of a toddler would do and didn't push the issue. We let him run around the kitchen and come get bites when he wanted them. At one point he grabbed his sippy cup of milk off of the floor, tipped it up to drink and started to spin. He spun around and around and around. Matt and I just looked at each other and all we could do was laugh. Jacob stopped spinning and was so dizzy he almost fell right over (Matt caught him!). It made us all laugh so hard. I love the never-ending surprises of living with a toddler!
2 comments:
Hadley has had several surgeries and every time I am shocked at how quickl she bounces back. I honestly think the worst part is the anticipation for us moms! I'm glad you got that over with and that he did okay!
Amen to Misha. I am so glad that everything went well, and that he is back to spinning and running around. Kids can really put us on an emotional roller coaster.
Post a Comment