We thought we'd take the kids camping. We thought it would be fun to be out in the elements once again, eating smores around a campfire, sleeping under the stars in our "huge" tent and sharing our love for the outdoors with our kids. So we packed up the car, a 2+ hour ordeal, drove north 2 hours to Moosehead Lake and snagged a campsite on the shores of the lake. It was senic and beautiful. The water was quiet and peaceful. We had arrived.I nursed Olivia on the stump of a tree. It looked like the perfect seat. As I got up I realized I was covered in tree sap! Of course this was my only pair of shorts. But I wasn't going to let this ruin our camping trip. We fed Jacob and ourselved lunch and prepared to set up the tent. With only minor setbacks, like the ocassional toddler fleeing our campsite, and our 4 month old deciding to perform her newest trick; rolling over, we managed to put up our "huge" tent. Now that we are a family of 4, this 4 man tent seemed tiny. Oh, well, we were only staying for 1 night, so we could all squeeze in, right?
With bathing suits on and towels in hand we walked down a path to the water and swam in the very shallow water. It was perfect for Jacob and we all had a blast. We spent the rest of the afternoon swimming and returned to our campsite to begin the art of building a fire.
After the fire was going strong, we cooked our "spider dogs" on the fire and filled our bellies with potato chips and pasta salad. Then, it was time for smores. My favorite part of camping! I taught Jacob how to make a smore and I think it must be genetic, because he was delighted. Shortly after we were done with the smores, we decided to get ready to settle down for the evening. Have you ever tried to make a toddler sleep in a tent? It's not an easy thing to do. Jacob was "all done" with camping! He repeadly kept on saying, "all done camping", "go home to Jacob's house". We looked at each other and without saying a word, we began to pack up all of our stuff.
After another 2 hours in the car, we arrived home, tired and worn down, but HOME.
My favorite part is the smores anyways!
Jacob eating his first smore!
Olivia rolling over for the first time!
1 comment:
haha! That is a great story! That sounds like something we would do too!
Post a Comment