Friday, August 7, 2009

Potty Training

I thought I wouldn't start potty training until the craziness of summer had passed. However, the other day, Jacob was naked on the deck and we asked him if he wanted to put a pee-pee into the potty and he did! Just like that. We were thrilled and so was he. I had told him several times previously that when he puts his pee-pee into the potty he will get a candy. This kid hardly ever gets to have candy, so he was very motivated. I dug out some Hershey's kisses leftover from the holidays. How on earth, is there chocolate leftover from the holidays in MY house? I have no idea. Jacob ate that chocolate kiss like it was the most delicious thing ever. I decided to begin pumping the kid full of liquids to give him lots of practice. Water, juice, milk, watermelon, cups with water and ice in them (a favorite now), anything I could think of that would make him urinate. Of course he did and he had some accidents, but for the most part, he got the hang of putting it into the potty. He's only in it for the candy, but I don't care!
Today was day 2 of potty training and he only wet his new underpants 1 time and it was my fault. He has yet to do a #2 on the potty, but I guess that will happen with time.
It's funny because a couple of days ago, Jacob was running around the house in his diaper and I commented on how different he looks from last summer when he was just learning to walk and wearing his diapers. I then thought about how next summer he won't be wearing any diapers. Literally the following day he decided to go ahead and grow up a little more on me and ditch the diapers all together. This part of growing up I'm ok with.

No comments: