Friday, November 14, 2008

Is my kid normal?


I'm sure that every parent experiences times when they think, "is what my kid doing, "normal"? Jacob does many things that make me think...he's NOT...or at least his behavior is sometimes not! For instance, he ocassionaly decides to crawl around on the floor with his face pressed to the floor. Of course he mostly saves this strange behavior for when we are at our Music Class and the other parents and teacher can get a good look at this fine talent he is displaying. Or, there are the days when he likes to bang his head into things. Possibly we have created this behavior by responding..."did you bonk your head?" And he pats his head, then proceedes to do it again. The latest "skills" that Jacob has discovered are jumping and climbing. The climbing is a very normal toddler behavior that I know will loose it's appeal soon, or at least I hope so. He's climbing on everything, the couch, the chairs, and even up onto the shelves. It's quite funny to watch. But also very nerve racking. Finally, he's discovered how to jump. This came from a song we sing in music class and he has been trying to master this skill at home by practicing all the time. He's so funny to watch. Most of the time, he doesn't clear the floor, but on occasion, he will get both feet off the ground. I know that kids do silly things and you may not think that jumping is silly. But I do! It's so funny to see him working so hard to master this skill. I guess I should be so proud of my little boy for learning to do all of these wonderful things. And oh yeah, he's discovered that he can stick his finger up his nose. That's another fine site to see. All in all, Jacob is living up the life of a toddler and all of his "normal" or "abnormal" behaviors are a part of learning, growing and discovering the world around him. I'm so happy that I get to be around to watch it all take place. What a wonderful job I have.

2 comments:

misha~sha-sha said...

Your post really made me smile. Those little fingers seem like they were just made to fit perfectly into those little nostrils. It used to make me CRAZY! But you really are wise to appreciate and laugh at his newfound "talents". Before you know it, he'll be in kindergarten and then in college and then....well, you get what I'm saying!

Anonymous said...

amen. I love staying home to witness the firsts of everything. I agree with Misha on the nose thing, so funny. I tell luke that he can infact pick his nose whenever he wants, (as long as its not in front of grandpa...he hates that.) You are such a great mom Annie